Sunday, January 23, 2011

the half-hour medley workout

i dont train to adapt, i train to become more adaptable. so when planning my tempo-ish workout for last night, i decided to add some speed for the first part, and some extra weight for the second, but with ice everywhere it was gona be another run that, in order to keep it fast, would have to be done indoors, which sucks. it was definitely worth it though: being at 6:00 pace felt great, just hard enough, and i doubt i would have been able to sustain that pace with ice on the ground. im really starting to look forward to getting some tempo work in in february. plus having variety on the treadmill makes the time fly by: a minute with 5lb handweights might seem long, but the minute recovery time is gone instantly. thats definitely one of the best perks of going hard.
heres how it ended up:
with a slight incline,
10 mins WU (warm up)
10 mins of 1 min @ 10mph: 1 min @8mph
10 mins of 1 min w/5lb handweights: 1 min recovery, all at 8mph
5 min CD (cool down) with some walking at 4mph w/15% incline

as always, id be flattered if anyone wants to try it and tell me what you think of it.

9 comments:

  1. I think i will try it this friday. But is there anyway you could give me some advice on how to work your abs efficiantly after a run or before? for maximal effect?

    Kind Regards Denmark :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. try GHD situps after your run, i just did 100 yesterday and my entire front side is sore. heres a link to see how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufaa41nkIP8
    i use these in combination with deadlifting to hit my entire core VERY efficienly, including my hips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your advice. very helpfull. Great link too. - i guess i should combine this with some side abs situps to work all my abs. :)

    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any time lasse! thanks for the Danish input!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came close to trying this, but decided I needed to save my arms for pullups/pushups. I'll try your next non-handweight sprint workout though-- I realized that I'm going to race a 1600 in a few months, kind of freaking out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i doubt the handweights would damage you ability to do pushups or pullups too much. plus you gota remember the most important things for you to do as a runner are the running specific ones... the chances of you having to pump your arms during the 1600 are pretty close to 100%, but the chances of you getting into a pullup competition during the race are probly more like 0%. plus theres the benefit of pre-exhaustion: if your anterior delts are fatigued from running with handweights, then your triceps and pecs will have to work much harder to compensate.
    -i wouldnt let the fact that you have to do push/pull -ups stop you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright, I think I'll try this Thursday then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I can't believe after being a runner for 5? years I can still be so foolish. I've been neglecting hydration for the past week, and tried this workout...
    I was doing well although the recovery felt fast (and the warmup, which I did at the same speed), but then a bit on the third and pretty badly on the fourth interval I was nauseous pretty bad. So I left it at 4 intervals, and did 4 handweight intervals at 7mph...
    Finished the day with 1 legged bodyweight squats. For some reason it seems like they're recruiting my adductors more lately, why would this be?
    Even now, a while after the workout, I feel a bit lightheaded, hopefully I've learned my lesson.
    Would you consider making a post concerning interval lengths for different types/stages of training? That'd be lovely.
    Alright that was the last unrelated thought, I promise.

    ReplyDelete