Monday, August 27, 2012

The Ultra Progression/ Thoughts Going Into The American Heroes Run #1

On the Highline Canal back in March, I ran 45 miles over an 8 hour period, but it was hardly a real race...

On September 8th I'll be running for 9 hours and 11 minutes at The American Heroes Run (in Longmont, CO), with the intent of running more than 55 miles and setting a new course record. This will be my first legit race of 50 miles or more and, according to plenty of ultra runners, my first "real ultra." While a 50k is technically an ultra marathon -since it is longer than the 26.2 miles of a standard marathon- it's run essentially like a trail marathon since it's only five miles longer. Running what amounts to over two marathons back to back is certainly a "real" enough.

Over the last year I've finally gotten to the point where my body can handle running hard for 30 miles through streams, hills, and less-than-optimal weather. After the last couple 50ks I've had enough agility left in my legs to look normal walking around in the days following. Presumably that means I need more distance. -If I can walk the next day I obviously didn't go far enough.

My plan is to continue racing at each distance (50k then 50M and 100k, then finally 100M and beyond) until I've almost mastered it, then move up. The idea is to get the speed first and let the endurance come. Over the next year I'd like to do at least three more 50 milers or 100ks, along with shorter races. With the exception of two fixed-time events (Boulder 12-Hour and Across the Years 24-Hour) I won't allow myself to go past 100k.

I don't expect too much competition, but I'm looking to make a statement of sorts on the 8th. I come from a proud military family, and being a complete hippie doesn't stop me from feeling some deep pride for my country. Runners talk about "giving it your all," but for the people on 9-11 and our active duty service members "giving it all" is a very literal thing... With that in mind, I'm going to run as hard as I can.. If I beat all the relay teams I'll be content. If I run 100k I'll be stoked. If I know without a doubt that I had nothing left to give, I'll be truly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment