Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thoughts Going Into The Highline Canal Fatass

Two days and four and a half hours left until I start running. Once I start I won't stop for at least 10 hours.

Just had to put that in writing for myself.

Since December 2010 I've been focusing on trail marathons and 50k's, as well as some shorter trail races now that I've been in Colorado. I didn't think I was going to do anything this long until I was thoroughly ready to race the entire time, but I think this will be a great way to cap off my winter training.

Goals for this one (in order of importance):
1) Finish the entire 100k
2) Run the first 50k in less than 4:50
3) See Sabrina through her first ultra (the second 50k of my race) and witness the birth of a new ultra runner. This one could be hard since she's gona have to run her own race, and I'm not sure how her pace is gona feel after running a 50k beforehand.
4) Perfect my nutrition/hydration game for 50k, and mess around with real, solid food in the second half
5) Have an obscene amount of fun. Always a huge priority, it's last on the list only because if I do pretty much any of the above goals it'll happen.


Gota love living in Denver! Picture stolen from denvermetrotrails.com.
 Check out the complete course map here.

Last week was training as usual, completing my 15th week in a row at 80 miles and doing a few core/hip sessions. This week I cut back:
Mon: biked about 10 miles easy -just to get around, and some core/hip work
Tues: 13 miles, over to Green Mountain, up it, then back home
Wed: 6 miles on trails with water crossings at Bear Creek, soaked in Bear Creek afterward
Thur: Belmar Run Club, about 7 miles easy
Fri: off
Sat: 100K
Sun: whatever I feel like, but definitely something

I'm as ready for this as I ever have been, and I'm getting more excited by the day.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. this one isn't getting a race reprt due to the fact that it wasn't a race..
      but I covered 45 miles in a bit over 7 hours and did the last 20 with Sabrina. I felt great for pretty much all of it and sprinted the last 400 at sub-6:30 pace just to see if I could.
      a sub-7:30 50 miler debut is looking good if the course isn't bad.

      Delete