Wednesday, May 4, 2011

last lifting before the 50k this weekend

its difficult for me to balance the need to keep my hormones through the roof and ensure that im getting rested up for the race. so i usually have my last real resistance training day about 7-10 days before i race, with one more full body workout the week of.

heres both of those, so you can get a better feel for what i do leading up to a race:
-9 days out from race day
>50 clean and jerk @60-75% of bodyweight, for time*
>10 min rest
>tabata squats (narrow stance), holding an "air chair" during the 10 second rest
>400 single leg extensions, alternating legs each 20 for 200 each leg, @ 15-20 lbs
*so as fast as possible
-5 days out (the day after my last long ish run before the race)
>three sets 20sec on: 20sec rest of each: pogos, pushups, split jumps, arm circles, squat jumps with 180 degree turn in the air

even with the mild soreness that may result from an intense workout the week of the race, at this point in my running career at least, its worth it to ensure that i feel sharp instead of flat on race day.
my next post is gona have good news about this weekends race no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment